Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Change IP Address of a remote computer via command?

I'ld like to change the ip address of a certain computer on my network via command line without going to that computer. Im using a Windows based network. I know how to do it on the computer using the Netsh command, but when it comes to changing the IP address of a remote PC from my PC it becomes an issue.

I do not wish to telnet to that computer, Neither do I want to connect via remote desktop inorder to change the IP address. All I want is one command to execute my task.

Help!Change IP Address of a remote computer via command?
The only way I know how to do this is by using remote registry and changing the registry settings for TCP/IP. My remote computers are 100's of miles away. I needed to find a way to change these settings to avoid traveling to the remote locations. Works with Windows 98, 2000, and XP.

The usual disclaimers about working with the Windows registry apply.



1. Open Regedit

2. Connect to the registry of the target PC

3. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

\System

\CurrentControlSet

\Control

\ComputerName

\ComputerName

4. Change the value in ComputerName to any valid name for your network

5. Next navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

\System

\CurrentControlSet

\Services

\VxD

\MSTCP

6. Change the value in HostName to match the value in ComputerName

7. Next navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

\System

\CurrentControlSet

\Services

\VxD

\VNETSUP

8. Again, change the value in ComputerName to the new computer name

9. You can also change the Comment Entry to add or change the description of this PC.

10. Next navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

\System

\CurrentControlSet

\Services

\Class

\NetTrans

\0000

11. Here you can change IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway.

12. Disconnect from the Remote PC's Registry

The target PC now needs to be rebooted. If remote boot capabilities do not exist, have someone at the other PC reboot the computer

If you run shutdown.exe -i from the command prompt, you can run shutdown in GUI mode. Here you can reboot the remote PC.Change IP Address of a remote computer via command?
Does this work in windows XP... i can't find \VxD and \Class in my services... or is there any way... Tnx....

Report Abuse


Not possible

No comments:

Post a Comment